Saturday, January 16, 2010

Good morning, Mrs. Nye!

My student teaching has begun and week one was a complete joy!
Remember how you used to feel when you would get to school with your new crayons and pencils excited for a new year? That's how I feel everyday when I walk into the classroom. Yes, I'm a freak. But after all, the most exciting thing for my daughter Stephanie and I to do is to go to Office Max together. WooHoo!!
I have the honor of shadowing a fantastic teacher, Mrs. Lugo, at Marshall Elementary School. She is so organized and has fantastic classroom management. The class practically runs itself. I can't think of a better person to learn from. She has 28 students and she has created a system that allows the students the freedom to grow while learning.
This week I was able to teach two lessons on Martin Luther King, Jr. The kids were awesome and they learned that he promoted love. "Use your words, not your fists!" as one student told me. There is hope for the future! Mrs. Lugo told me that one of the students said, " I can tell she's gonna be good." as I began my lesson.
And no school week would be complete without a trip to the library and a fire drill.
So, I am on my way. Finally realizing the capstone of my education degree. It's been exhausting and I'm excited for everyday. What a great reward! 11 weeks to go, but who is counting? One day at a time, because I love it!!! Stay tuned for more exciting 2nd grade adventures!

No comments: