Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cookie Cutter Families

So.....when I was imagining my family I made the mistake of creating an image in my head of what a family looks like, acts like, lives in and grows up to be. Big mistake. Why do we girls do that? It's ridiculous. Families come in all shapes and sizes.  They morph into different shapes and sizes and attitudes!
    This Christmas I had all of my family with me. It was crazy!  And I loved it! I was exhausted, overwhelmed, and cleaning all the time! I used to do all of that every Christmas when they were all little and I was ever the martyr because of it. This time was different, though.  I felt so much gratitude that I was able to serve and take care of my family.  I was just so happy that they were there and that I had an opportunity to spend time with them.
    So my family is a huge hodgepodge of personalities, sizes, values and ideals......at the end of the day we have the most important thing in common.  We all love on another.
    Is this the family I imagined I would have? Well sort of. It's big, it's fun, it's loving. The important things are there.  Last week I remembered the very day that I decided I wanted a big mormon family. 30 some years ago Norm and I were invited to a family home evening(mormon for family night) of a very large family. There were kids and babies and grandmas, grandpas, moms and dads. We were all watching a movie. I couldn't really hear the movie or pay attention to it.  All I felt was the spirit telling me that this was awesome. Family is the most important thing and they are forever no matter their shape or size. I realized in the past few weeks that I have realized that dream. It may be it's own version of what I saw that day, but it will do in a pinch.
    I am so grateful for the blessings that Heavenly Father has given to Norm and I, everyone of them.
     

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I just found this. It is the best post ever. I needed a break from our crazy family to realize that and now I miss you every day even more than I did before. Having people to just sit with while the kids run around, having people to build puzzles with and sing dorky songs with and vacuum their floors... I kept vacuuming your house and I loved to do it. Everyone kept judging me, haha, but I thought to myself "this is what families are for, we help each other out. When your kids get older they should be helping you clean." And I loved it! And then dad came up to me and said "thanks for helping clean, Steph." And I didn't expect it, because he is totally Aspie, but it made it so much more worth it. I can't wait to come home and vacuum some more. Mostly though, I loved having you around to hold the baby. :D And I can't believe how much you did, I was exhausted watching you.